Users, Roles, And Capabilities in WordPress
What is the User system for?
The User / Roles / Capabilities system controls what people can do and provides a framework for storing and using information about those people
- A registered entity with a unique login
- The right to perform a type of task
- A group of capabilites that are assigned to a user*
Users can be assigned into multiple roles, though I discourage it. Users can also have capabilites given and taken specificly from them and not messing with the role
- Users can be assigned multiple roles
- Capabilites change and are added each version
- Don't think of one role being supperior to another
- Can Read
- Can write or delete, but not publish, their own posts and also read
- Can write, delete, and publish their own posts, but not others. Can also upload media, and read
- Can Write, delete, and publish everyone's posts and also moderate comments, manage catagories and links,
- Whatever they damm well please
How do you check a capability?